Saturday, September 28, 2013

My nerves were shot on this one...

As some of you know, I only do cakes when I feel like I can make it perfect (or close to it). Well, I'm out of practice as you 
saw with my last cake. 

So, I decided to try a wedding cake (since my best friend from High School is going to be getting married and asked me to do hers next June, I needed a little practice) and it turned out beautifully. It wasn't perfect at all, which was a let down for me, but I did good for my first one. Lesson learned as far as what to cover the cake in too.  I was a NERVOUS WRECK up until I delivered it and even afterward! I've been dying to hear how it went over at the wedding. 

The Wedding Cake is a combo cake. The top and bottom are a tower chocolate cake recipe that I got from an amazing baker and former faculty member at TSTC. The middle is a white almond sour cream cake. I decided to cover the top and bottom in Milk Chocolate Ganache and white butter cream for the middle and then cover it with white fondant. I really feel like I did a great job on that, however there is definitely room for improvement! I think next time I will do all white butter cream or all white chocolate ganache. That way there is no color variation on the fondant. 
The grooms cake was a tower chocolate with a chocolate ganache based frosting and then a Beach Theme. It was very last minute. I thought I would try to "write" their initials in the "sand" but that did NOT turn out how I wanted. I tried to use icing to "write" them... NOPE. Was not happening...it didn't want to stick...it only stuck to the "sand" and I was just getting frustrated. Needless to say I decided it was time to just grab some umbrellas and just go with it. In case you are wondering what Tower Chocolate Cake tastes like....IT TASTES LIKE BROWNIES! Yes, you heard me...I love this cake recipe and so do my little "minions" (kids). 
Until Next time my loves! Stay Sweet! 

2 comments:

Comments Always Welcome!